Friday, June 18, 2010

Off to the hospital . . . I felt like I was in some kind of dream. We loaded Robbie, the oxygen tank, the suitcase, and the red diaper bag into the beamer and traveled north toward Primary Children's. This was it; today was the day we had anticipated, prepared, and hibernated for - Robbie's open heart surgery.

We reached the hospital at 6:10 and then waited for the nurse to calls us back for Robbie's check-up. As I sat there I noticed a familiar face. Immediately I got up and learned it was someone my mom had taught at Valley Jr High and she had been in Miss Margene's dance class with me in my Junior high years. Crazy, huh? Who would have thought that years later we would meet at the surgery waiting room. This put my mind at ease a bit.


-Josh playing with Robbie while we are waiting for the nurse-

We met our surgeon,Dr. Birch. He is a younger cardiac surgeon who has dark hair, a serious expression, is articulate, and kind. Prior to our discussion we spoke with another couple who had a 9 month old; they highly recommended Dr. Birch. That is always nice to hear when you have never met the man before and you are basically turning your baby's life over to him. :)
Dr. Birch gave us the "Risks" discussion (which is not always the thing a parent wants to hear, but must be heard) and then went through the process of the surgery. It took me a minute to start speaking his cardiac language. Maybe it was due to 4 hours sleep, but all I could see was his mouth moving. It was as if reality was trying to spin its way into my brain, but instead of filling my comprehension, the space was void. I was determined to switch gears, and soon the words became clearer and my mind was able to wrap around his explanations.

Then came the anesthesiologist. Matt. I kept thinking about my brother-in-law, Joel sitting in front of us and giving us the "schpeal" (spl?). He became more personable when we told him we were neighbors of another Anesthesiologist he worked with. Isn't it amazing how a dynamic can change when you know someone? I felt Robbie was in good hands. A connection had been made.

During the exchange with the doctors Robbie sat propped up against Josh's chest. In both instances, Robbie began to smile and babble at each doctor midway through the discussion. It was as if he was evaluating them and then giving his approval. Perhaps one might call it pure incident, or happenstance, but I cannot help think that Robbie was making a deeper connection with these doctors.

Then came the most difficult part - saying goodbye. I cuddled and kissed him one last time before he went down the hallway. My little bundle, so calm and at ease. I think he was the one who was really soothing me.


-Robbie with his Anesthesiologist, Matt Clarke-
Let the surgery begin . . .


THE WAITING ROOM:



1 comment:

Tara said...

I am glad that you were able to make some personal connections at the hospital. It does make a world of a difference, I think. Hang in there! More prayers coming your way!