Monday, February 28, 2011

Hello, Neighbor!

There is nothing like seeing the ambulance pull up to your neighbor's home that gets you thinking about life in a real way. Suddenly all of the practicing, cleaning, and disciplining seems to fade and the serving and loving, and spending time with people is magnified.

There were times I should have said "Hello, Neighbor" and I didn't because of silly reasons such as,"they look busy," "maybe they don't want to be bothered," "I am running late." I look back and think those reasons are not reasons at all, they aren't even poor excuses.

About a week an a half ago I woke up to a very clear thought. It was 4am in the morning and all I could think about was having my aunt and uncle go visit these dear neighbors who they had known for much of their life. I could not sleep because the thought was so pressing. Finally I was determined to make this happen, no matter what the "but's and if's and how's that seemed to creep in; it would just have to be done. So one week ago these two dear friends embraced with tear-filled eyes and they reminisced a bit about life.

What if I had not acted and just continued to make up "logical" excuses of why this would be difficult? What if I continued to put it off and thought that it would be easier for all parties to do this when the weather warmed up? It has been exactly one week from that precious reunion and today that dear neighbor was transported to the hospital in an ambulance.

There is definitely a Master Orchestrator at work. I just hope that I will hear the great masterpiece even when the dynamic is piano. Otherwise, I am missing a great deal of beauty in the work of life.

So next time you see your neighbor make sure you say, "Hello, Neighbor."

2 comments:

Cristie said...

I'm so glad that you listened and that you acted! This was a good reminder to me of the frailty of life and how much we need to enjoy each moment. Love you!

jacey said...

It is a good thing that you are in this world.